Junior Inquisitor

Junior Inquisitor

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Typing fast - typing slow


Many, many moons ago when I was in high school, and I was able to skip taking a typing class. I regret doing that, for now instead of a useful recognized style, I have an advanced hunt and peck method for typing. I pretty much have to look at the keyboard while I type and spend a fair amount of time correcting typos as my fingers don't always go where they are supposed to go.

The lack of typing ability has held me back in some ways, it took me longer to knock out papers in college and in graduate school. For professional articles and white papers which I've done over the years, again same issue, never a content issue, but a can't-get-it-down-fast-enough issue. Friends and collegues can knock out a five page paper while I'm still trying finish my first page. It's reflected in my writing, there has been exactly one time I have done more than 5,000 words in a day, usually it's a lot less. I will admit it's a bit of a mixed blessing, with a slower pace, I can more clearly articulate exactly what I am trying to covey, but I also waste time correcting mistakes. And, of course, there is my blog, which I do not update nearly enough. It's not that I don't have anything to say, but that it takes a chunk of time to get the words down. Adn then I have to correct it, and proof it, and check again, and then someone will point out where I made a mistake anyway; there is a reason I have an editor.

No comments: