Junior Inquisitor

Junior Inquisitor

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Uroboros Saga, Brunette Sonya likes to party, and Rick Astley is dissed once again.


I'm cranky, maybe even more than that I'm might even be rancorous or even prickly. “Why?” you might ask, and mostly it's my own damn fault. To get Brunette Sonya used to all the strange and wondrous sounds outside of the womb I played music for her. I guess I must have included Eddie Murphy's 80s hit “My Girl Likes to Party all the Time,” because Brunette Sonya has taken to staying up until the wee hours of the morning drinking and carrying on, and sleeping all day. I'd do the same but my boss is a bit of a hard ass when it comes to me napping on the job. I'm not a rabbit, I need some rest, I'm tired.

Play "Never gonna give you up" one more time and I will cut you.

The Vampire of Rome has not moved much between long work days, Reserve Weekends and Sonya jamming to “London Burning,” at two in the morning, but I'll be all over it this weekend and with some luck I will be close to wrapping it up. As far as I can tell, I'm still on track for the October release.

Lynn Lamb's post went so well I thought I'd continue with apocalyptic fiction, and toss in some genetic manipulation, and there's only one author who can do that, Arthur H. Walker. He's stopped by to talk about the latest in his Uroboros Saga.






Book Series Blurb:

The Uroboros Saga is character driven science fiction, published three times per year. Each book continues the story with an array of colorful characters and environments. It is written to address and explore the idea of technology that extends and expands the modern notion of identity, and the sort of dystopia that such technology could create. The global fiscal apocalypse that occurs in the midst of that exploration is just there to be charming window dressing.



Uroboros Saga Book 6:


Book six marks the conclusion of the second story arc in the Saga. In this installment Silverstein and his allies make a last stand against the militant arm of the Cabal across the solar system. There will be lots of big reveals and secrets exposed from even the first three-book arc. Expected release is sometime late July or early August!



Excerpt:

I followed along, watching Perfidy clear side rooms and crew compartments, winding his way toward the cargo bay where Kaspersky was supposed to be locked into a medical gurney. I was about ten feet from him when he cleared the threshold into the cargo hold. Kaspersky, bloody from the skin on his arms and legs being stripped away, leapt on him. I rushed forward but the compartment lost pressure suddenly, dropping a thick airlock door between me and the compartment.

PERFIDY!” I screamed, banging a fist on the door.

I watched helplessly as the outer wall of the cargo compartment blew open. The sudden pressure loss ripped Kaspersky and Perfidy out of the hold, along with anything else that wasn’t secured. I sank down to my knees feeling the craft begin to shake violently, alarms sounding all around me as air masks dropped from the ceiling at intervals. We were at more than thirty eight thousand feet, no chance Perfidy or Kaspersky would survive that fall.

I wept, uncontrollably for my lost friend. I gripped the hammer he’d given me only minutes before, but there was no one to take vengeance on. The world fell away for a moment. Heavy Dub grabbed my shoulder, pushing past me as he donned a grav-chute.

What are you doing?” I asked, wiping tears from the face.

I’m going out to get our boy. Take the wheel. Just try to set down anywhere safe. Now, hold onto something solid,” Heavy Dub said, punching in the override code for the airlock door.




Arthur H. Walker is an American writer, artist, and game designer. He spent his childhood wandering the wilds of his home State of Idaho. Encouraged to be creative by mentors and circumstance, he filled many composition books with stories and doodles. After college, he took a job at a glass company to help his wife attend college, acquire an advanced degree, and chase her dreams. Task complete, he reconnected with childhood friends to produce games and novels.

 
FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/arthur.h.walker

Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6071363.Arthur_Walker

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/arthurhwalker/

Tumblr: http://arthurhwalker.tumblr.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArthurHWalker

Vine: https://vine.co/u/1258949016796962816

 
 


 
Main Character’s Motivations?

There’s a trio of main characters that share the story the way Flash, Dale Arden, and Doctor Zarkov often do in Flash Gordon stories and comics.

If you’re reading Books 4, 5, and 6 (coming soon!) the character to watch is Brook. She appears in the first story arc in books 1-3, and is the “sleeper” in the story that eventually awakens. The point of view follows her around quite a bit and she’s motivated by a desire to belong, find love, and discover things about herself.

Kale, the nanotechnological replica of the main character from the 1st book probably feels like the primary protagonist given his connections. I’ll let the readers draw their own conclusions there.

Perfidy is a cyborg soldier and mentor for them both, safeguarding them on their adventures. Like Kale, he’s been a constant through all the books, but he really steps into the spotlight in the 4th and 5th installments.

What is their secret strength/weakness?

Brook knows things. She has special knowledge that was given to her from the moment she began her journey. Her weakness is that she doesn’t realize that she has that knowledge, or how critically important it will become later.

Kale has an immense intellect and has great compassion for all sentient creatures. However, he is ruthless, and tends to employ the most extreme measures when dealing with rivals and adversaries.

Perfidy is an old man by Book 4 and weary of the world. His experience and emotional resilience are double edged swords as they guide him through complex problems, but haunt him in quieter moments.

Any philosophical issues in this story? If so, how do you address them? How does the MC live and overcome them?

Book 6 was hard to write. There was some debate among my proofers as to whether it required a trigger warning for a particular scene. Mental illness and social equality factor heavily as there are many artificial intelligences, genetically-tailored creatures, and similar with sapience equal to human beings. I chose to address them in portions of the book that are told from a third-person perspective in a clinical and dispassionate way so the reader could draw their own conclusions about what happened. The main characters are hardcore altruists, and they’ve grown to value one another greatly, but you can’t have freedom or equality without sacrifice.

Any offbeat or obscure 80s references?

I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in their original comic book form. All the Metasapient characters are a subtle tribute to Erick Wujcik’s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness” tabletop role-playing game via Palladium Books. I have all the game supplements and loved the way animals were personified to tell stories. How’s that for obscure?

The “Rats of Nimh” movie had a profound effect on me, and I tried to give the Drone characters that live underground a similar vibe.

When did you start to write this one and why?

I started in December of last year. It’s my intention to continue to write the Uroboros Saga as long as I have stories to tell in that universe.

Uroboros Saga started out as test material to see how self-publishing worked. It garnered a small following and I’ve been writing for those folks since 2013.

What’s next in this series or in your next book?

Book Six is coming up next. 7-9 should follow over the next eighteen months or so. I’m pulling together everything that hit the cutting room floor from the last six books and writing new novels that will showcase what happened at the street level. If Books 1-6 constitute something like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then Books 7-9 will be like the stuff Marvel Studios is releasing through Netflix.

Smaller scale, pulpier, but hopefully every bit as good and interesting to readers.

Preview of your next book?

I tried really hard to keep Book 6 from feeling like a series of boss fights, and if that was going to happen, that there be tremendous payoff. I think I struck a good balance between settling all the business from the last five books, and letting the characters grow and do things. There is some real-deal reveal when it comes to the Cabal, Vance Uroboros, and all the high level intrigue. Questions people have had since the beginning of Book 1 will get answered.

When will it be available?

My editors, proofers, and designer are all working on it right now and have had the principal components for a few weeks. I’m expecting late July or August depending on how quickly everything gets approved and so forth.

Sounds like a series worth reading again and again. Speaking of series and authors who have mean “no sleeping on the job,” bosses, how about buying my stuff so I can become a full time author, and take a nap as needed?
Junior Inquisitor Book One
  
Inquisitor Series - http://goo.gl/mJtTf8
 
 
Soulless Monk Book Two
  
 Smashwords - https://goo.gl/NXw3Gr
Inquisitor Series - http://goo.gl/5lCyaX
 

 The Witch’s Lair Book Three
 
Smashwords - https://goo.gl/MokJnC 
 Inquisitor Series - http://goo.gl/mJtTf8
Last week's hidden quote was from Magnum Force. This week's is up and the usual points will be awarded for whomever gets it right first.

No comments: